Thursday, September 24, 2015

Definition of God

So, humans cannot imagine or picture God with all his perfections. We simply cannot understand the perfect being. And God is transcendental with a clairvoyance stronger than what we can imagine. Maybe they are right, but let me give it a shot. Let me try to define God. Wish me luck! 
So before I begin, like anyone who has been introduced to problem solving and business intelligence, let me find my sources of insight. Who knows about God? Humans, of course. But where can I find expert advice? The religions, of course. How silly! 
They say God sees everything, knows everything. That’s the clairvoyance that I talked about earlier. Now, religion also says that we should follow God's orders and rules. Apparently God is a King and we are expected to live as he wishes. Oh, by the way, if anyone thinks that I am a chauvinist, they should read! God is a he! That part has been proven without doubts long back. So he sees and knows everything and is capable of doing anything, but just lets humans, the imperfect sinners do whatever they want. And based on their actions, he would decide who goes to heaven and who to hell. Oops! Sounds more line Bane from Christopher Nolan's Batman movie! Nope, God so loved the world he gave his only son that whomsoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life! Or something like that. The Devas created man in their own form. So apparently, God loves us and his son had already paid for all the sins mankind has committed till then. I am sure God is not sending his son again. If what he endured was the consequence of the sins committed by humans at that time, what would he have to go through now? With global population increasing at least a thousand times and the variety of sins committed going up by several thousand times, the consequences could be far more horrifying that God's son might decide to skip that part. 
Ok, let me get back to business. So maybe God is like Batman. Want people to take responsibility of their actions, but would intervene when things go out of control and would take some beating for the wrongs of his people. Yeah, that sounds more acceptable. Wait, what about pushing humans to hell for committing sins in their mortal lives? Batman does not do that. In fact, he refuses to do that and kills his mentor Ra's al Ghul. Ok, I think I have seen the trilogy too many times. Coming back, where does luck fit in? So something bad is going to happen to me, and somehow, miraculously, I avoid that. That is luck, but credit goes to God. He saved me. But what about the times that I or someone else find this luck not with us? So God is partial. There is some way he decides when to help, whom to help. They also say that God decides what should happen with us. So that makes him a sadistic monster who decided that I should burn my palm at the age of 2 and undergo 3 surgeries to get it fixed. He also decided that my son should bang his face somewhere and lose his front teeth at the age of 3. He also decided that Aylan Kurdi should drown before he could learn to spell the word God! 
I need a minute here to get me back on track. I want to define God. Not the Devil. Maybe religion is not the right source. Rationalists, don't do the victory dance yet. Science is not the right source either. For all that we know, someone somewhere might prove scientifically that science was wrong all the time. But there is one trusted source of insight. My own bloody conscience. It will not lie to me. It will not make up stories. Regardless of what my head wants to believe, deep down, my conscience will keep telling the truth. And my conscience says that God is not a being! God is the sum total of all good things that I know of. Love, kindness, humility, benevolence, happiness, etc. And Devil is the sum total of all the bad things. Which means, God and Devil are both within us and much more than the definition, I should worry about which part should be unleashed. Religion helps us overcome the guilt of not doing the good things all the time. It tells us, we cannot be like God. We cannot understand God with all his perfection. That is comforting. We are not doing something because it is impossible. So no worries! Let us light candles, decorate our roads, play music through huge speakers, make payasam in a million pots, and get drunk. All in the name of God. The omnipresent, clairvoyant, supreme power!

No comments: